Monday, June 9, 2008

No...we really don't have to fill everything the doctor writes for...

Tonight I had the midnight shift again. Pretty typical Monday night...amazingly no syringe seekers. I did have a guy come in with a script from the local drug-catering doctor for Methadone 10MG. This guy is usually all nice and courteous until you tell him "no" about something. He gets all huffy and pissy. Before...he came to pick up a controlled substance medication for himself. We require documentation of who picks up controlled substances...so we want to see an ID, usually a drivers license, before we can sell it. It's Texas state law. He didn't have it...so got all pissy...threatening to transfer his scripts elsewhere...sure whatever.

Back to the Methadone...

Tonight he dropped off a script for a 30 days supply of Methadone. He wanted to pay cash for it. Red flag there. I check his profile. He got a 30 days supply of the same thing on May 16th meaning we wouldn't fill his new script until June 15th. I tell him this. He gets that angry, quiet look to him.

"You're supposed to fill anything the doctor writes for!"

I blink and reply, "No....this is a controlled substance...we don't release them early until your thirty days is up."

"But I'm going out of town!"

"Lemme ask the pharmacist, then." I knew the pharmacist would say no...it just gives me better cred if I back it up. So I tell him no again. He merely stands up and snatches the prescription out of my hand and storms out of the pharmacy. I really hope he does transfer his scripts. Then he can see that it's not just us that doesn't put up with his bullshit.

No comments: