Thursday, July 21, 2011

Take responsibility for yourself, please. kthxbai

Guy calls today asking about if his prescription is ready. Didn't see it in the work queue. He said we should have faxed the doctor to get approval. There really isn't a way to show if we've faxed the doctor by just making a fax so I tell the dude the doctor just hasn't got back to us.

"Well I waited two days for this prescription. What do I do now?"

"I'd suggest calling your doctor to ask them to resend a prescription to us."

"Well you're supposed to be doing that! Hell it's because y'all pharmacies are so close together! I dropped by scripts off at your pharmacy instead of {competing pharmacy}. I usually fill at {competing pharmacy} but I guess I'll just get them at yours."

".........the prescription is at the other pharmacy? So do you want us to transfer it here?"

"Well I thought that's what you're doing!!! This was supposed to be done two days ago!"

*facepalm*

The doctor ended up calling us and getting the dude his script. IT IS NOT OUR PROBLEM THAT WE CAN'T READ MINDS TO TRANSFER PRESCRIPTIONS!!!! AAARRRRGH!

Now for something completely different. Let's take a moment back in time, shall we?

There is a patient that fills at the pharm that I'm trying to get over my anger seething at them. This person was the only person that made me cry while at work. Years before, I had gone over to see my mom and dad when my dad was still alive before I head off to pill land. He was having a rough day and wasn't able to breath very well which upset me before going to work. This woman comes up to the counter to get her prescription. I get it, take it to the register, and then ask to verify her address (SO WE CAN MAKE SURE TO SELL THE RIGHT RX TO THE RIGHT PATIENT. IT'S FOR YOUR SAFETY!!!!)

Women replies in a snippy tone, "You don't need to know my address. Everybody at the pharmacy here knows me."

"Well I don't know you and I need to verify your address so I can make sure to sell the right prescription to you."

"Dammit you don't need my address! I said that before a I had a person follow me home from the pharmacy. Everybody else here knows me, why can't you?!"

Ring up prescription, throw it on counter, and walk behind shelves to proceed to cry because I just can't believe anybody can be that hurtful for no reason. I'm used to people yelling at me because I deny their Soma pickup, or sell them needles, or take forever to fill a script. But for no reason? It hurts.

There was a guy in the waiting area chilling while we filled his script. We get it filled, I call him over.

"My name is {patient name} and I live at {patient address}. Just to let you know, I've been filling my scripts here for years now and nobody has ever followed me home after I give y'all my address."

My day brightened a little. "Well I guess you're just not special, sir."

He laughed, paid for his scripts, and left. He renewed my faith that people can actually be kind every once in a while.

Cue back to the present.

The same woman is still filling at the pharmacy. She actually verifies her address now and isn't a complete bitch to the other technicians. I'm trying to forgive her. She has numerous health problems, is obese, and probably doesn't have that great of quality of life. I still just cringe every time I see her. I just want to tell her that she made my day miserable all those years ago, just to get it out of my system. But alas, I'll just vent on here. It's more therapeutic and has a less chance of getting me fired.

Pillpharmer out.

No comments: